Archaeological Survey of Dunbeath Strath



SITE REF: DB17/02

DESCRIPTION: 'Wags'

GRID REF: ND 1063 3308

SITES & MONUMENTS RECORD REF: ND13SW0005

SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT

Described by RCAHMS Inventory (1911) as: "Galleried dwelling, 'The Wag', Achnaclyth: About 3/4 mile SE of Achnaclyth, on the low ground by the side of the Wag Burn, and adjoining a large sheepfold are the remains of three or four galleried houses bearing the name of 'The Wag'. They all appear to have been oblong on plan, with rounded ends. The best preserved, which lies E-W, measures some 34ft in length and 15ft in breadth. The entrance appears to have been through the S wall, 23ft from the W end. The thickness of the wall has been about 6ft 6ins. The pillars, several of which remain in situ, have been placed at from 3ft to 3ft 9ins from the side walls, and at distances of from 4ft 9ins and 6ft from each other in the rows. Only two of the covering stones remain in position, one on each side. That on the N is 6ft in length and 2ft 8ins in breadth; that on the S, 5ft 9ins long and 2ft 6ins broad. They are both about 8ins thick. The greatest height of wall remaining exposed is 3ft, and the highest pillar measures 2ft 8ins above the ground. Outside, as also at the E end, there are the indefinite remains of buildiings. The walls, as usual in these structures, are built of large, flat stones, carefully laid."


OS (1960) notes: "Generally as described by RCAHMS. There would appear to be three 'wags', two abutting nearest the sheepfolds; the middle one of the three is the best preserved and is described above. There are the indefinite remains of possible buildings at the east end of the group. The third one is indistinct and consists of a mound some 1.4m high and measuring 20.0 by 9.0m over all; a large quantity of stone lies over the site, the whole being in a very dilapidated state."

Height OD: 119m
Orientation: E-W


RETURN TO ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY MAP



[HOME]